Skegness Gas Light and Coke Co was incorporated in 1877 to supply Skegness and Winthorpe. The Gasworks were constructed on Alexander Road, on land leased for 99 years from 1878. The company remained non-statutory until 1902 when a provisional order was sought and granted to raise funds for the company. At the time of the provisional order, the UDC were given the opportunity to purchase the works, but declined. A further provisional order was gained in 1907, again with the aim of attaining funds. In 1911 the UDC began to make moves towards taking over the company, but this time they were rejected by the company and a period of wrangling over the company's ownership ensued, involving accusations as to the competence of the management at the gas company. The dispute continued when in 1914 the gas company presented an order before parliament to re-incorporate as the Skegness Gas Company. This order was strongly challenged by the UDC who finally purchased in 1914. The undertaking remained part of the local authority until nationalisation.
On nationalisation in 1949 the undertaking vested in the North Lincolnshire sub-division of the Lincolnshire Division of the EMGB.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know