Records relating to the Gambier-Parry family of Highnam Court
The records in this collection mainly relate to the administration of Highnam estate, particularly under the careful management of Alfred Eels, appointed estate agent in 1903. As well as various farms and cottages in the hamlets of Highnam, Linton and Over, estate property included The Dog Inn and a water mill, both at Over.
Thomas Gambier Parry built a church and school in Highnam for his tenants, c.1850, hence the collection includes papers relating to the upkeep of both buildings as well as important parish records.
Gambier-Parry family of Highnam Court, Gloucestershire
Parry, Gambier-, family of Highnam Court, Gloucestershire
Immediate source of acquisition:
Documents deposited by Tom Fenton Esq
A full account of the descent of Highnam manor and additional details about the Gambier-Parry family is given in the Gloucestershire Victoria County History, vol. 10
Administrative / biographical background:
The manor house of Highnam Court and its lands in Highnam, Linton and Over came into the ownership of the Gambier Parry family c.1838 when Thomas Gambier Parry bought the manor from Sir John Wright Guise, brother and successor of Sir William Berkeley Guise.