The following items were deposited on indefinite loan by Messrs. C.T. Bowring & Co., Ltd., by courtesy of Mr. Peter Bowring
Administrative / biographical background:
The Liverpool business of C.T. Bowring and Co., Ltd., shipowners, general merchants, insurance brokers and underwriters, began in 1835 when Benjamin Bowring, founder of B. Bowring and Sons at St. John's, Newfoundland, opened an office in King St., Liverpool.
In 1841, the style of the Liverpool house changed to Charles T. Bowring & Co. C.T. Bowring, son of the founder, was a member of the Town Council from 1857 to 1881. He was succeeded as head of the firm by his son, William Benjamin Bowring, Bart. who opened a New York office. Edgar Bowring, a grandson of Benjamin Bowring, became manager of the Newfoundland business in 1890.
In 1899, the firm of C.T. Bowring & Co. was converted into a limited liability company under the same name, with Sir William Bowring as its first chairman.