The Addey and Stanhope School was formed in 1893 by to a unification of two separate schools, each of which was funded by a number of charities aimed at helping poor Deptford children.
The Dean Stanhope School was founded in about 1715 by Dean George Stanhope, Vicar of Deptford, to clothe and educate fifty children of the Deptford poor, and built by 1723. The education provided was chiefly of a practical nature, such as instruction in needlework. The school was enlarged in 1812, and in 1874, the charity changed its name to the Stanhope Foundation. It was financed partly out of the sale of sermons, donations and public subscriptions. Each subscriber was entitled to put one child into the school. Additonally, several benefactions were left in the wills of a number of Deptford residents who made provision for the local poor. These were as follows:
Robert Gransden gave land in Butt Lane where the school was built. His widow, Mary (died 1719) left a farm in Plaistow Essex, from which the rent was to be received by the charity. She also left property in London and £80.
Issac Loader gave £200, in 1714, though only half was paid.
William Hosier gave, in 1717, money for educating poor boys, which was invested.
Dr Stanhope, by will of 1727, left money for clothing and books, which was invested.
William Sherwin and William Collins, in 1752, left money to purchase land, rents from which were to be used for charity. For some reason, their benefaction was known as Gasker's Charity.
Mary Wiseman's will left £200, the interest on which was to used to clothe poor boys.
William Reynold's will of 1768, left property, the rent of which was invested for the purpose of assisting charity schools.
John Chester's will of 1783 left stock for the benefit of one poor boy each year.
Richard Philips' will of 1784 left stock for the charity school.
Dr Wilson's will of 1790 gave stock for the school and for apprenticing children.
Hannah Saunders' will of 1789 gave stock to the school.
Margaret Wood's will of 1789 gave stock for the benefit of the children of Gasker's charity.
John Addey, shipwright, made a clause in his will, proved in 1606, that money be put aside for the local poor. This money was used to buy four acres of land in the Gravel Pits of Deptford, though in 1679, this property was disposed of new properties acquired. In 1820, it was decided to build the Addey School, on Church Street, which was enlarged in 1862.