The records of the Christian Union Almshouses were deposited on permanent loan by Miss P Bevington, Christian Union Almshouses, 21 Crawford Place.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Christian Union Almshouses were founded in 1832., when a leasehold property at 28 John Street (now Crawford Place) was purchased with contributions raised by the parishes of St Mary's Bryanston Square, St Pancras and Paddington. Homes were built "to provide an asylum for poor and aged believers in full communion with some Protestant church". The Almshouses gave charitable support and shelter to the poor, most of whom were retired female servants or seamstresses of St Marylebone Inmates were chosen by elections held every six months.
In 1836, 27 and 29 John Street were also acquired and after buying three more houses in Marylebone Road in 1867 (later sold), up to 60 persons were housed. Following the gaining of the freehold to the John Street premises, the almshouses were rebuilt in 1899 at a cost of £7,000. Subsequent modernisation work was undertaken in 1950 and 1989.