Roman Catholic Church, St Joseph Parish, Stockport, Cheshire
Immediate source of acquisition:
Administrative / biographical background:
In March 1861 the foundation stone of St Joseph's, Tatton Street, was laid, the church opening the following year. This was the third in Stockport after St Philip and St James', and St Michael's, both of which had been severely damaged in anti-Catholic riots in 1852. St Joseph's took over the administration of St Michael's in 1865, and as a result there has been some overlapping of the registers of these two parishes. This relates to marriages and baptisms for St Joseph's from 1868 and confirmations from 1875, as described below.