Email service disruption: Due to planned maintenance our email messaging service will be unavailable for periods this weekend (25-26 September). For confirmation of digital download orders, record copying and paid search requests, visit the order confirmation page.
Transferred from Stoke Newington Reference Library in May 1983.
Condition of deposit: donation
Depositor: Lady Baddeley. Presumed date of deposit: 1925.
Listed: June 1983
Administrative / biographical background:
The Depot was formed as a result of a meeting at Lady Baddeley's house at Woodberry Down in October 1915, as a connection of the Central Depot Surgical Branch of Queen Mary's Needlework Guild. The President of the Depot was the Mayor of Stoke Newington, while Lady Baddeley herself became the Hon Organiser. Premises at 16 Woodberry Down were loaned by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and within the house five rooms were set up, producing bandages, needlework, slippers, surgical dressings and linen. These were then despatched to other depots, to London hospitals, to ambulance units of the British Army serving abroad and to French military hospitals.
The work of the Depot continued through the remainder of the First World War. After the Armistice remaining funds were distributed to local hospitals and the affairs of the Depot appear to have been wound up at the end of 1919.