Catalogue description Record book

This record is held by East Sussex Record Office

Details of PAR430/7/16
Reference: PAR430/7/16
Title: Record book
Description:

This volume was kept as a record of parish income and expenditure by the successive rectors of Ninfield St Mary: William Saulez, 1905-1914; Henry Beauchamp St John, 1914-1922; and Ernest Rudkin, 1922-1940

 

page:

 

1 index

 

4-5 parish magazine income and expenditure account; Jan - Dec 1905

 

6 Sunday School Entertainment account; Jan 1905

 

7 subscriptions to the Church Tower repair; Jul 1905

 

8 disbursements to named sick and needy; Mar ?1905

 

12 fees received for funerals, marriages and banns; Jul 1904 - Oct 1905

 

16-17 accounts of disbursements made to named parishioners under the Rev John Phillips Charity and the Mary Phillips Charity. A note records that the accounts were sent to the Charity Commission in Mar 1908; Jan 1905 - Mar 1906

 

19-24 annotated transcript of the trust deed of Ninfield School, recording a grant of land by Henry Thomas, Earl of Chichester for a site, made in Jul 1853; Mar 1906

 

26 inventory of fittings in the church nave, chancel and sanctuary; Mar 1906

 

28-31 record of hymns sung at services; 1904-1908

 

32-33 parish magazine income and expenditure account; Jan - Dec 1906

 

34 accounts of the choirboys' outing to Greenwich, Westminster and Earls Court; Sep 1906

 

36-37 Sunday School receipt and expenditure account; 1905

 

38-40 subscriptions to the Vestry Building Fund, with an account of expenditure on building-work and fittings; 1906

 

42-43 parish magazine income and expenditure account; Jan - Dec 1907

 

44-47 accounts of disbursements made to named parishioners under the Rev John Phillips Charity and the Mary Phillips Charity, with note of returns forwarded to the Charity Commission; Dec 1906 - Mar 1910

 

48-49 account of subscriptions collected by Archdeacon Sutton towards repairs of Ninfield School, with a note that the accounts were not fully returned; May 1904 - Jun 1905

 

50-51 parish magazine income and expenditure account; Jan - Dec 1908

 

52-53 list of communicants at Easter 1909

 

54-57 account of money spent by the parish on the church and the school; Mar 1908 - Jan 1910

 

58 note that non-parishioners would in future be able to reserve grave-space, and the proceeds would be used for the purchase of additional land for burials in Ninfield; Jul - Aug 1909

 

59 Sunday School receipt and expenditure account; 1909

 

61 'Mrs Duke's Plate'; list of cutlery and crockery; Jan 1907

 

62-65 parish magazine income and expenditure account; Jan 1909 - Dec 1910

 

66-67 list of communicants at Easter 1910

 

68-69 note recording the opening of the Reading Room by Lady Idina Brassey in Nov 1910, with account of subscriptions received and expenditure made on building and furnishing the room; Nov 1910 - Jan 1911

 

70 list of the incumbents and patrons of Ninfield from 1387 to 1904, with those from 1914-1922 added in a later hand; nd, c1911

 

72-75 accounts of money received by the parish and expenditure on the church and school; Dec 1909 - Apr 1911

 

76 list of communicants at Easter 1911

 

77 accounts of disbursements made to named parishioners under the Rev John Phillips Charity and the Mary Phillips Charity, with note of returns forwarded to the Charity Commission; Jan - Mar 1911

 

78 Sunday School receipt and expenditure account; Nov 1911

 

79 list of communicants at Easter 1912

 

80 accounts of disbursements made to named parishioners under the Rev John Phillips Charity and the Mary Phillips Charity; Dec 1911 -Mar 1912

 

84-88 account of subscriptions received towards the enlargement of Ninfield School, with account of payments made to the architect F T Cawthorn and to the contractors; Mar 1913 - Nov 1913

 

90-91 Sunday School receipt and expenditure accounts, including those for day-trips to Pevensey Bay; Nov 1912 - Nov 1913

 

92-93 account of parish income and expenditure on the church and the school; Jan 1912 - Dec 1913

 

94-95 accounts of disbursements made to named parishioners under the Rev John Phillips Charity and the Mary Phillips Charity; Jan 1913 - Mar 1914

 

96 list of communicants at Easter 1914

 

97 'Parish Notes': these notes appear to have been compiled by the Rev William Saulez at the end of his incumbency, and note charity payments made to Ninfield parishioners from private benefactors and from Fuller's Blind Charity of Catsfield. The notes also explain the purposes of the Rev John Phillips Charity and the Mary Phillips Charity. The John Phillips Charity was established to provide bread and money for the poor of Ninfield, and Saulez distributed tickets in the church which could be exchanged for bread with a local baker. The Mary Philips Charity was to provide six widows with a sovereign a year; c1914

 

98 'Parish Funds': further notes compiled by William Saulez at the end of his incumbency. These describe annual payments to the parish by Earl Brassey, Lord Hythe and HM Thomas of Moor Hall and its expenditure on the Rectory mortgage, church expenses and occasional expenses. The parish also received money from Worrall's Charity for the Day School, and from Mrs Scott for the Coal Club; c1914

 

99-100 'Church Notes' and 'Church Collections': additional notes compiled by William Saulez at the end of his incumbency. These record the times of Sunday and Special Services, and note the recipients of the various collections; c1914

 

101 'Parish Magazine': notes describing the printing and distribution of the magazine; c1914

 

102 'Bishop of Chichester's Diocesan Fund' and 'Treats': description of payments to Ninfield under the Diocesan Fund and of annual excursions for the Choir and the Sunday School; c1914

 

109-118 accounts of disbursements made to named parishioners under the Rev John Phillips Charity and the Mary Phillips Charity; 1914-1925

 

119-125 lists of communicants, 1923, 1925 and 1929

 

126-137 accounts of disbursements made to named parishioners under the Rev John Phillips Charity and the Mary Phillips Charity; Dec 1926 -Dec 1944

 

141-145 lists of parishioners confirmed at Ninfield and elsewhere; 1935-1943

 

146-147 note of marriage blessings; 1937-1940

 

149-159 list of communicants; 1931-2 and 1939-1940

 

at rear: list of parishioners confirmed at Ninfield and elsewhere; 1922-1934

Date: 1905-1940
Held by: East Sussex Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Former reference in its original department: PAR430/7/16
Language: English

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research