Email service disruption: Due to planned maintenance our email messaging service will be unavailable for periods this weekend (25-26 September). For confirmation of digital download orders, record copying and paid search requests, visit the order confirmation page.
Grays Menswear were formed in 1922 by the father of the depositor and became a limited company in 1931. By 1935 the business had shops in Mare Street, Clapton, Dalston, Whitechapel, Charing Cross Road, Kings Road, Chelsea, Windsor, St Albans and Wembley. Some shops had a relatively short life : Clapton was open c 1935-40, as was the Charing Cross Road branch. The Kings Road business opened in the 1960s and Windsor, St Albans and Wembley in the 1970s. Dalston and Whitechapel were both closed in the mid 1970s and the other shops sold off until in 1988 only the Mare Street business remained. This was in the course of a substantial refurbishment at the time of deposit.