H R Land of Bury St Edmunds, 1905-1982, removers and storers
Immediate source of acquisition:
acc. no. 9664
Land family of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Administrative / biographical background:
The firm was founded in 1905 by Harry R. Land at 30 and 31 Churchgate Street. In Kelly's Directory for 1908 Harry Land is described as an 'art house furnisher, licensed valuer and house agent'. Between the wars the description is 'art house furnisher, cabinet maker, valuer and house agent, removals and storage of furniture'. After the war the firm was described as 'artistic house furnishers, removers and storers'.
H.R. Land's children Raymond and Miriam took over the firm in 1929; it was taken over by Pickfords in 1979 and closed in 1982.