Catalogue description ROMFORD (LATER HAVERING) DIVISION
This record is held by Essex Record Office
|Title:||ROMFORD (LATER HAVERING) DIVISION|
P/... M... Minutes
P/... Mc... Chairman's minutes
P/... Mj... Juvenile court minutes
P/... MP... Probation committee minutes
P/... R... Registers and examination books
P/... Rj... Juvenile court registers
P/... Rp... Registers of offenders under the Probation Act 1907
P/... Rs... Registers of school cases
P/... Rx... Registers of further examination of defendants
P/... L... Licences
P/... F... Finance
P/... A... Adoption
P/... P... Papers
P/... Pa... Papers relating to settlement
P/... S... Special sessions under act of 35 George 111 c.5 for raising men for the Navy
P/... Z... Miscellaneous
On 4 January 1893 the Essex Court of Quarter Sessions ordered that a new Petty Sessional Division to be called the Romford Division be constituted, consisting of the parishes of Romford, Havering and Hornchurch which lately formed the Liberty of Havering-atte-Bower) and Upminster and such portion of the parish of Cranham as lies immediately south of the northern boundary fence of the London and Southend Railway (which lately formed part of the Petty Sessional Division of Brentwood) with effect from 16 Febuary 1893 [Q/SO 55, p.632].
For records of the Liberty of Havering-atte-Bower Petty Sessions see P/Hv. The earliest records of the Romford Divisions are to be found in the last volumes of the Liberty of Havering-atte-Bower Petty Sessions e.g. P/HvR 3, P/HvL 1.
From 1937 the Kelly's Directories of Essex record the Petty Sessional Division of Romford as comprising Aveley (part), Cranham, Havering, Hornchurch, Noak Hill, Rainham, Romford, Upminster, Great Warley (part) and Wennington. Noak Hill had been a part of this division since its creation as a separate civil parish in 1895. The inclusion of additional parishes into the division in the 1930s appears to coincide with the expansion of Hornchurch U.D.C. in 1935 taking in Upminster, Rainham, Wennington, Cranham and parts of Great Warley and North Ockendon.
In 1965 Hornchurch U.D.C. and the municipal borough of Romford were combined to form the London Borough of Havering, which from 1 April 1965 came under the jurisdiction of the N.E. London commission of the peace created under the Administration of Justice Act 1964. The Romford Division continued to function under this new commission and from June 1968 became known as the Havering Division.
|Held by:||Essex Record Office, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||270 files|
|Link to NRA Record:|
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know