Howell's transcription has been described as "loose" and "much of the matter ... transposed without comment" but his work provides a useful introduction to the records of the Club.
Howell states that his transcript was made from the original MS "in the collection of the late Joseph Mayer Esq., of Bebington". Howell himself is described on p.11 of his book, as being in 1887 "the well-known dealer in new and second-hand books of Church Street, Liverpool ..." into whose hands the Ugly Club MS had come. Presumably Howell sold or otherwise disposed of the MS because in an article in the Liverpool Daily Post, 12 Dec. 1901, Sir Edward Russell states that he has seen the MS "by the courtesy of Mr. Jaggard, of Moorfields" (see 367 UGL 1/2 below).
The items listed below were purchased from Messrs. Longden in February 1959 by this library.
The contents of the volume listed below have been printed in Edward Howell (ed.). Ye Ugly Face Clubb, Liverpool, 1743 - 1753: a verbatim reprint from the original MS in the collection of the late Joseph Mayer ... of Bebington ..., 1912 (Ref.H367 UGL).