Records were deposited (Accn. 701); Mr. D. Griffiths, Wirral AHA Planning Officer, in Dec. 1982 (Accn. 1028); and the Administrator, Arrowe Park Hospital, in Mar. 1983 (Accn. 1032); while the mortuary plan was donated in Jul. 1983 by Mr. A. Gilbert-Norton, 94 Park Road South, who had found it in the vacated building (Accn. 1050).
Administrative / biographical background:
The "Wirral Dispensary and Hospital for Sick Children" was originally opened in Wilkinson Street in 1869; moving to Oxton Road in 1872; and to the Woodchurch Road site in 1883. From 1898 until just after the Second World War the hospital was known as the "Birkenhead and Wirral Children's Hospital." It was supported by voluntary subscriptions until the formation of the NHS in 1948, when it came under the control of the Birkenhead HMC, and subsequently (1974) of the Wirral Area Health Authority. It closed in January 1982. by the Unit Administrator in February 1979