1. February 7 and 8 1680/1. William Emmerton and Sarah Emmerton, mother of William, in consideration of £480, granted by lease and release, all that messuage, or tenement, orchards, gardens, with appurtenances called The Isle Gate Farm, in the possession of Margaret Downes widow, and all pieces of arable land, meadow and pasture belonging, called The Yard Field, adjoining the house & orchard, The Ox Leasow, The Well Leasow, otherwise Well Croft, Jeffreys Meadow, The Upper Leasow, The Little Potch Green Meadow, The Great Potch Green Meadow, The Middle Leasow, The Wheat Croft and the Barn Leasow with all houses belonging to the same. To have and hold by Thomas Philips of Salop Haberdaher and his heirs and assigns.
2. April 23 and 24 1688. By lease and release, the release between Thomas Phillips of Salop gent. Dorothy his wife, and Hannah their daughter 1st part, William Adams of Chatwell, Stafford gent. Katherine his wife, and Robert their son 2nd part, and Edward and Richard Phillips brothers of Thomas John Jellicoe of Shifnal, and Robert Devey of the Choe, Staffs, 3rd part, Thomas and Dorothy, in consideration of a marriage to be sollemnized between Robert Adams and Hannah their daughter, granted premises to Edward and Richard Phillips,John Jellicoe and Robert Devey, to hold by heirs for ever, to the use of Thomas Phillips and his heirs until the consummation of the marriage, then to the use of Thomas during his life, and with full power to commit waste; and after or upon the determination of that estate; to the use of the trustees and their heirs during the life of Thomas to preserve the contingent estates and upon trust to permit Thomas to receive and take the rents during his life, and after his decease to the use of Dorothy Phillips during her life,after her decease to the use of Robert Adams during his life, then to the use of Hannah during her life, then to the use of the trustees and their heirs during the life of Hannah, and to permit Hannah and assigns during her life to receive the rents, issues and profits during her life, and after the deaths of Thomas Phillips, Dorothy his wife, Robert Adams and Hannah Phillips, then to the use of the eldest son of Robert and Hannah, in default of such to 2nd or 3rd sons then to daughters of Robert and Hannah, in default of such, to the use of Edward Phillips, son of Edward Phillips of Adcot during his life, then to the use of the trustees and after the decease of Edward to the use of his first son and heirs, and in default of such issue to the use of Thomas Phillips son of Abraham Phillips of Salop Butcher, in default of his heirs to the use of the right heirs of Thomas Phillips, party to the release for ever
3. 20th and 21st of May 1717. Thomas Adams son and heir of Robert Adams and Hannah by lease and release grant the aforesaid premises with other lands and tenements to John Dovey and William Fowler gent. to make them tenants of the precipe to suffer a recovery; Uses declared to Thomas Adams in fee
4. Recovery suffered of the premises by name of 1 messuage, 30 acres of land, 10 acres of meadow, 30 acres of pasture and common of pasture with appurtenances, parish of St. Chads; John Gibbons demandant, John Dovey and William Fowler tenants and Thomas Adams vouchee. December 5th and 6th 1718. Thomas Adams, son and heir of Robert Adams, and Hannah, in consideration of marriage to be had between him and Mary Vyse grant the premises to Thomas Pincher and Revell Phillips;concerning the Isle Gate with appurtenances, to the use of Thomas Adams for life with remainder to Mary his intended wife, as a jointure,remainder to the first and every other son of Thomas in tail male; remainder to George Cottes and Thomas Salt for 500 yrs, remainder to Thomas Adams and heirs. Term of 500 years is upon trust that is in case there is no male issue between Thomas Adams and Mary his wife, and issue daughters, that the trustees should raise a sum as portion for the daughters.
Copy of the settlement for settling the Isle Gate estate, with other lands of Mr. Adams in Staff Dec. 6th 1718, is among the title deeds.
5. By indentures of lease and release, the release between Mary Adams of Newport, widow, and relict of Thomas Adams, late of Chatwall Staffs and John Adams son and heir of above, 1st part, John Spranger of Beaufort Buildings London gent. 2nd part, and Humphrey Sandford of the Isle gent. 3rd part; Mary and John, in consideration of £800 paid to them by Humphrey Sandford for absolute purchase of premises mentioned, and sum of 5s paid by John Spranger and for the docking and barring all estates tail of and in the premises after released, release to John Spranger and heirs all messuage called The Isle Gate Farm, with lands and appurtenances; to hold by John Spranger to the intent that a recovery to be suffered, which agreed to be to the use of Humphrey Sandford and heirs
Michaelmas 1744. Recovery of premises, by name of 1 messuage, 40 acres of land, 20 acres of meadow, 40 acres of pasture, and common with the appurtenances in Upper Rossall; Humphrey Sandford is demandant, John Spranger, tenant, and John Adams vouchee
Paper draft. 4 sides.