Medical records of patients, including registers and other records which contain medical information, are closed for 100 years. Other records are closed for 30 years.
These are indicated throughout the collection
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited upon closure of the hospital at Market Bosworth, 1988.
Market Bosworth, Leicestershire
Administrative / biographical background:
Bosworth Park was the ancestral home of the Dixie family and the Hall rebuilt by them in the 1670's. Throughout the early twentieth century parts of the estate were sold off and the Hall and adjacent grounds purchased by Leicestershire County Council for £5,000. Initially the Infirmary, which opened on 15 July 1936, serviced the Western Area of the county's Public Assistance Committee comprising the Ashby, Ashby Woulds and Coalville Urban District Councils and the Ashby and Market Bosworth Rural District Councils. The sick from the Ashby Institution and Market Bosworth's 'West Haven' Institution were transferred, hence the reason for the emergence of several Ashby Poor Law Union records here (ref DE 3300/1-9,135). During the War the Infirmary housed injured military personnel. From 1948 the Infirmary was governed by Leicester (No 2) Hospital Management Committee. Throughout its history the Infirmary catered for geriatric and long-term patients, but in addition cared for some child and maternity cases. A few maternity patients are recorded pre-war and by 1951 350 cases are noted, keeping the 19 beds allocated almost in full use. Staffing difficulties forced the unit to close sporadically in the early 1950s and at the end of 1957 the unit was left without midwifery staff and thus closed indefinitely. The Infirmary continued as a geriatric hospital until 1988 when its patients were transferred to other geriatric units in the county and the Infirmary was sold.