In 1953 a group of 20 people formed the Ipswich Self-Building Housing Association, later known as Ipswich Homes Ltd. The aim of the society was to build houses for its members to live in. The original idea and calling of a public meeting was made by the late Norman Manning. The group built their own houses in Charlton Avenue, Tranmere Grove and Woodbridge Road East and by 1957 the house-building programme had been completed. The members rented the newly built homes from the society while the original loan from Ipswich County Borough was paid off. Gradually tenant members purchased their own properties from the society, subsequently withdrawing from group arrangements. In other cases members moved away from Ipswich and their properties were purchased by non-members. In August 1984 at a special meeting it was decided to terminate Ipswich Homes Ltd as the society had disposed of all its remaining properties to tenant members and therefore had no further business. In 1994, of the original 20 houses completed by the society 8 were still occupied by original members or their wives.