ADMINISTRATIVE RECORDS: Annual reports 1928-1974; Handbooks [1965-1968]; Open days 1950-1960; Official openings 1938. PATIENTS' RECORDS: Admission and discharge registers 1941-1974; Registers of deaths 1928-1956; Registers of births 1928-1940; Registers of confinements 1951-1958; Maternity case books 1945-1958; Casualty books 1945-1957; Ambulance books 1951-1956.
For records relating to the administration of the hospital 1924-1930 see the records of Hendon Board of Guardians (reference BG/H). As well as minute books, these include papers and registers relating to the workhouse and old infirmary.
For the administration of the hospital 1930-1948, readers should consult the records of Middlesex County Council. The printed annual volumes of County Council of Middlesex Reports, available on the open shelves in the Greater London History Library, contain reports of the Public Health Committee 1930-1948 and annual reports of the Medical Officer of Health for 1930-1937 and 1939-1946. The Greater London Record Office holds the minutes of the Middlesex County Council Public Health Committee and of its Central Hospitals and Institutions Sub-Committee. These may at present be consulted by prior arrangement only.
For the history of the hospital 1948-1974 readers should consult the records of Hendon Group Management Committee (reference H16/HG) and of the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board (reference HA/NW). Visitors from King Edward's Hospital Fund for London visited and reported on the hospital between 1953 and 1968 (reference A/KE/735/29, A/KE/738/28). The King's Fund also advised the hospital on medical record keeping 1948-1960 (reference A/KE/729/27) and on catering (reference A/KE/716/64). Hendon Group Hospital Management Committee handbook (reference H16/HG/A15/1) contains a brief history of Edgware General Hospital.
Transferred to the Greater London Record Office, 40 Northampton Road, London EC1R OHB, by the Senior Administrative Assistant and the Patients Services Officer, Edgware General Hospital, Barnet Health Authority, on 23 January 1985 (Acc 2071), 27 January 1986 (Acc 2229) and 27 August 1986 (Acc 2314)
Administrative / biographical background:
Edgware General Hospital was originally known as Redhill Hospital and was built by Hendon Board of Guardians. Rather than extending the old Redhill Infirmary, in the 1920's Hendon Board of Guardians decided to build a new hospital of 175 beds on 20 acres of land at Burnt Oak. Work began in 1924 and Redhill Hospital opened in December 1927. It was taken over by Middlesex County Council on 1 April 1930 who renamed it Redhill County Hospital. Between 1936 and 1938, the Middlesex County Council built extensive additions to the hospital including a 60 bed maternity unit and a 329 bed medical unit. In January 1938 the Middlesex County Maternity Hospital opened in Bushey. This was administered from Redhill County Hospital.
The hospital became part of the National Health Service in 1948 and came under the control of the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board and Hendon Group Hospital Management Committee. Its name was changed the same year to Edgware General Hospital. It now forms part of Barnet Health Authority.