Herrburger Brooks Ltd, pianoforte manufacturers, Long Eaton, Derbyshire
Administrative / biographical background:
Brooks Ltd, piano action manufacturers, was established in 1810. Herrburger was established in France under the name of Schwander in 1844.
The two companies merged in 1920 to form Herrburger Brooks Ltd. Herrburger Brooks was the sole manufacturer for Great Britain and the Common-wealth of "Schwander" Actions. They also made the "Herrburger", "Brooks", Langer" and other actions. The company's factories were based at Camden Town and Kentish Town in London and at Long Eaton (Meadow Lane and Phoenix Mills). It is believed that Herrburger Brooks took over Provincial Piano Actions Ltd which was based in Long Eaton, c.1935.
Herrburger Brooks plc went in to liquidation in December 1998. These records were deposited the same month.