H.P. PARKES AND COMPANY, LTD. TIPTON GREEN, TIPTON
Incorporated in 1904 under Hingley control in succession to Henry Persehouse Parkes & Co., Ltd. Renamed Richard Sykes and Son, Ltd. in 1947, exchanging this name with: W.B. RUBERY AND COMPANY, LTD. Incorporated in 1927. Registered office in Birmingham Road, Walsall. Dormant from 1937 to 1947. Renamed Richard Sykes and Son, Ltd. in 1944 and H.P. Parkes & Co., Ltd. in 1947. Liquidated 1966. W.B. Rubery himself was a large shareholder in the original H.P. Parkes company as well as majority shareholder in this one. RICHARD SYKES AND SON, LTD., CRADLEY HEATH Incorporated in 1900. The name of this company was subsequently transferred to the abovementioned with H.P. Parkes and Company, Ltd. trading from Cradley Heath with the telegraphic address of 'Sykes' Various records follow the trading entity/business name and others the legal entity, which goes some way towards explaining the first three sub-series headings. This part of the collection has been organised in line with the original catalogue, and owing to the tortuous history of this industrial entity, it was judged preferable to add the two later accessions as misecellaneous sub-series at the end, rather than attempting to incorporate them into the main body of the catalogue, which has otherwise been the rule.
See also Mole and Beddall, Ltd., section ref WRI/2/17