The collection contains several items on family and private matters including the temperance movement in which most of the partners were concerned. There are also a number of ephemeral items not directly connected with the business
According to directories, Edward Chrimes sen was in business as a plumber and glazier in Bridgegate, Rotherham during 1814-1817. Between 1822-1833 directories show the business at Market Place and by 1837 the title became 'Edward Chrimes and Sons'. His sons were Edward jnr, Richard and Peter but it is not clear whether they were all continuously associated with the same business throughout the next eight years.
In 1841, directories list 'Peter and Edward Chrimes'. In 1842 Edward sen is described as a maltster when he and Richard guaranteed loans to Peter and Edward jnr (4/1-2). The same year Richard appears to be running his own business in Sheffield (12/1). The apprentice agreements between November 1844 and February 1845 were made by all three brothers and a directory lists 'Chrimes Brothers' in 1845, with the first mention of brassfounding business. Some time before October 1845 Peter and Richard left and Edward jnr formed a short lived partnership with Thomas Neatby, the firm trading as 'Chrimes, Neatby and Co.'. This ended with Edward jnr's death in July 1847, or possibly a few months earlier as apprentice agreements in 1847 were made by Edward alone and Neatby's letters of 1847 show some disagreement with Edward.
At this point Richard returned from a situation in London and formed a partnership with John Guest taking the present name of 'Guest and Chrimes'. In 1857 the business removed to its present site at Don Street.
Later partners in the firm were George Eskholme and Charles Edward Chrimes (son of Edward jnr) who was succeeded by his nephew F. Mackman Watson and other members of the Watson family