The Metropolis Management Act of 1855 established the Metropolitan Board of Works as a London Authority. Within this body in Lewisham the Lewisham Board of Works was created. It consisted of 21 members elected by the vestry to represent Lewisham and 6 for Penge. The responsibilities were for drainage, water (to make sure houses had a supply), lighting, cleansing, highways (maintenance and new roads), removal of nuisances and scavenging, disinfection of infected houses, and management of some recreation grounds. They had to administer the Building Act, Sale of Food and Drugs Act, and the Notification of Diseases Act, as well as issue licences for cowhouses and slaughterhouses, and inspect bake houses. Their accounts were audited annually and they had to produce a printed statement and report each June which must cost no more than 2d. The body was abolished in 1899 by an act which gave these responsibilities to the Borough councils.