Maynard's charity or 'The Gift House' was founded by Oliver Maynard in 1602. The property was situated in Barley Market St., Tavistock, with a small plot in Kilworthy Lane. It housed a total of 12 people, including 4 couples and 4 widows.
Ford Street almshouses were established prior to 1862. The Duke of Bedford had bought the rent-charge and he paid the trustees an income from it.