The records of Reading division and of Bradfield and Sonning division form one unit, and are therefore catalogued as such. The title "Reading County" is used throughout. Although it does not appear to have been used by court officers or magistrates, it was the term used in the previous catalogue, and has been retained because it conveniently points the difference between these records and those of Reading borough petty sessions. It also accurately describes the body which created them.COURT IN SESSION : Court minutes, 1854-1965; court papers, 1881, 1953-1972; court registers, 1855-1966; juvenile court minutes, 1951-1958; juvenile court registers, 1861-1870, 1933-1966; informations and complaints, including juvenile court records, with related pre-trial documents, including adoption papers, 1950-1966; bail register, 1911-1942; particulars of claims for damages, 1876-1898; probation registers, 1908-1951; miscellaneous probation papers, 1942,1946; adoption papers, 1947.; REGISTRATION AND DEPOSIT : registers of alehouse licenses, 1875-1927; licensing maps and plans of licensed premises, c.1949-1950; register of licenses for killing hares, 1849-1891; registers of clubs; licensing returns and related papers (on clubs and public houses), 1951-1963; register of cinematograph licenses, 1918-1932; register of premises licensed to keep explosives, 1877-1914.; ADMINISTRATION : agendas of magistrates' annual meeting and related papers, 1943, 1945, 1957; minutes of magistrates' meetings and related papers, 1952-1977; minutes of the juvenile court panel, 1945, 1960-1977; minutes of the juvenile case committee, 1949-1958; minutes, reports and papers of the probation case committee, 1942-1977; reports to the justices' annual licensing meeting, 1942-1977; reports to the justices' annual licensing meeting, 1951-1963; fines and fees accounts, 1929-1937; miscellaneous financial papers, 1929-1937, 1963; clerk's correspondence, 1950-1951; returns under the Poor Law (Amendment) Act, 1843-1869; settlement papers, 1855-1862; records of the construction of Reading magistrates' court, including plans and elevations, 1962-1978..
|Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in : August 1948 (acc. 82); June 1967 (acc. 1318); 1968 (acc. 1601, part); November 1972 (acc. 1776); April 1982 (acc. 3040, part); August 1985 (acc. 3652).
Provenance unknown : 1A/6.
Accs. 82,1318,1601 (part), 1776: 1/1-20; 1A/1; 2/1-22; 4/1; 5/1-9; 8/1; 9/1; 10/1-5; 1/1-2; 14/1-15; 14A/1-5; 15/1; 16/1-6; 17/1-9; 19/1; 20/1; 23/1,3,4,7; 22/1,5; 25/1; 26/1-2.
Acc. 3040 (part): 1/29
Acc. 3652: 1/21-28; 1A/2-5; 2/23-61; 3/1; 4/2-9; 5/10-19; 10/6,7; 13/1; 17/10; 23/2,5,6,8,9; 24/2-4; 26/3-15.
|Administrative / biographical background:
Note on the boundaries of the division
In 1855 this petty sessional division was known as Reading division, and comprised the following parishes and places:
By 1929, Bucklebury was in Newbury County division, and Southcote and parts of Tilehurst were in the enlarged Reading borough.
On 1 May 1954, the parishes of Sonning, Earley, and Woodley and Sandford were transferred from the Forest division. The name of Reading County division was subsequently changed in 1964 to Bradfield and Sonning, partly to reflect its new make-up, but also due to its physical proximity to Reading county court. By 1974, Stanford Dingley had also been transferred from Newbury County.