Deposited: November 1968 by the company and donated in 1987 by the Treasury Solicitor under Bona Vacantia.
Administrative / biographical background:
The first reference to William Raven, hosiery manufacturer, is in a trade directory of 1870; until 1878 he is listed at various addresses in Crafton Street. In 1881 the firm is given as Raven, Wormleighton & Co, also in Crafton Street (Wormleighton & Stanyon are listed in 1877 & 1878 at 23-25 Millstone Lane and 31 Rutland Street respectively). In 1885-6 Raven, Wormleighton & Co were in Wheat Street but by 1887-8 the firm was listed as W. Raven & Co.
The firm appears to have been in existence until c.1968 when the records were deposited.