Catalogue description Records of St Clements Hospital, Ipswich

This record is held by Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich Branch

Details of ID 408
Reference: ID 408
Title: Records of St Clements Hospital, Ipswich

The records in this collection are those which were held and cared for by the St Audrys Hospital museum, but have now been deposited under the terms of the Public Records Act 1958.


N.B. Museum references appear in brackets after the description of some items.


Other material relating to the Asylum can be found in the Ipswich Borough records and local studies library




A Minutes and Reports


1. Minute Books


2. Annual Reports


3. Medical Superintendents Reports


B Patients Records




1. Admission Records


2. Registers of Patients


3. Lists and Indexes of Patients


4. Civil Registers


5. Medical Registers


6. Registers of Mechanical Restraint


7. Registers of Discharges and Transfers etc.


8. Registers of Deaths


9. General Registers


10. Case Books


11. Patients Financial Records


12. Daily Population Books


13. Visitors Books


14. Prescription Books


15. Probation Books


16. Day Clinic Registers


17. Miscellaneous


C Photographs


D Plans (Data sheets, Architects reports etc.)


E Staff Records


1. Service Registers


2. Rules and Regulations


3. Salaries, Wages and Pensions


F Financial Records


1. Ledgers


2. Finance Officers Cash Accounts


3. Journals


4. Building repairs, maintenance accounts and general supplies


5. Special Accounts:


Clerk and Stewards






Market Garden




6. Cash Books


7. Receipts and Payments Books


8. Miscellaneous


G General


1. Newspaper cuttings


2. Programmes


3. Letter Books


4. Hospital Magazine

Held by: Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich Branch, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

St Clements Hospital, Ipswich

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited 23 May 1989


(Acc. No. 8579)

  • Ipswich, Suffolk
  • Health services
Administrative / biographical background:

St Clements Hospital was built as the Ipswich Corporation Asylum and opened on 2 August 1870, to cater for 200 patients. Contractual arrangements were made to receive patients from other boroughs and counties, as well as private patients, and the revenue that these two classes of patient brought in paid off the capital outlay on the original buildings. Additions were made to the building over the years to increase the accommodation (eg. A Day Clinic was created in 1960, and a hospital church built in 1962) culminating in the redevelopment of the hospital in 1978.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research