Catalogue description Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue FF

This record is held by East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO)

Details of AMSFF
Reference: AMSFF
Title: Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue FF

Since it opened, East Sussex Record Office has maintained a collection of 'Additional Manuscripts' for accessions which are not assigned, or are not accrued to existing collections which have, a distinctive alphabetic reference based on the collection's title. The Additional Manuscripts collection is now known as AMS


Some of these accessions added to AMS have been returned to A2A as free-standing catalogues. The residue are being returned as a series of catalogues, each covering a range of AMS numbers. The summary list below covers all the accessions within that range, with notes against those which are the subject of separate catalogues or which have been transferred to other collections or other repositories. The main body of the catalogue notes only the reference and the fact of the separate catalogue or the transfer


Summary of contents


AMS6601 Copy of a map of William Weston's [Spitlye Farm] in Mayfield by Thomas Neve, from exhibits in Barton v Short in Chancery; 1697


AMS6602 Number not used


AMS6603 Publications and reports of East Sussex County Council Agricultural & Horticultural College, Uckfield, County Agricultural Committee and Agricultural Education Sub-Committee, 1899-1932; eighth annual report of the East Sussex River Board, 1957/58


AMS6604 Records of the Northiam & District Horticultural Society: minutes, 1951-1993; books recording entries and prize-winners, 1950-1989; Northiam and Newenden Horticultural Show schedule of prizes, 1935; Northiam Horticultural Society Flower Show and Fete schedules of prizes, 1948-1998; Northiam Spring Show schedule of classes and prizes, 1971-1978; programme and membership cards, 1994-1997; newsletters, 1998; list of winners, 1998; other records, [1897]-1999


AMS6605 Archive of Raye Du-Val, drummer in The Checkmates, and other groups; includes albums, nd, 1930s-2000; posters, nd, c1950 - 2000; photographs, nd, c1965


Separately catalogued for A2A


AMS6606 Thomas Daws of Soggs in Ewhurst (1848-1928): Ewhurst parish documents, 1684-1916


AMS6607 Records of All Saints Arts and Youth Centre, Friars Walk, Lewes; 1980-2001


AMS6608 A history of Vinehall School by Sally Chaplin; 2002


AMS6609 Records of H E Waterhouse, grocer and ironmonger, Croft House, High Street, Ticehurst; formerly J F Waterhouse; Waterhouse Brothers, and A H Waterhouse; [1671]-1989


Separately catalogued for A2A


AMS6610 Deeds collected by William C Wakefield


AMS6611 Papers of Richard Hargraves Horner, of Clearview Farm in Ditchling, reeve of Ditchling Common; includes papers of Harry (Hilary) Douglas Clarke Pepler relating to Ditchling Common; 1872-1978


AMS6612 Deeds of 53 High Street, Hastings St Clement (Whales, Russell-West), 1763-1822


AMS6613 Scrapbook and papers of George Thomas Martin (1869-1948) and Robert George Martin, both of Forest Row, including material relating to B & G T Martin, drapers, outfitters and boot and shoe warehouse, Forest Row (closed 1965); 1899-1979


AMS6614/1 1 and 2 Rose Cottage and 1 and 2 Glen View, Forest Row, part of freehold tenement of the manor of Ashurst or Grinstead Wild or Wallhill (Malyan-Langridge-Lucas-Martin); Castle Cottages, copyhold of the manor of Maresfield (Virgo-Tubbs-Swiney-Figg-Sidebotham-Martin-Gatland, 1847-1866); The Catt, Forest Row (Figg-Martin, 1855); the whole (Martin-Turner-Martin-Crowder and Rivers); 1776-1970


AMS6614/2 Queenborough Castle (Humphrey-Creasy-Wells-Smith-Defew-Wells-Martin), 1776-1974


AMS6614/3 Cottage and shop on Forest Row Green: house, shop and land (Ashdown-Spencer-Hooker (Martin-Morris and Moor-Morris); 1758-1916; land on Forest Row Green (Finch-Gage-Finch-Gillham-Morris-Martin), 1786-1918


AMS6615 Pair of prints of the America Ground, Hastings, before and after development; 1856 nd c1870


AMS6616 Documents purchased at Stride's of Chichester: Abstract of title of Fords Farm in Heathfield and Warbleton (Stollion-Hamlin, Stollion-Hay-Hamlin, Hamlin-Borrer-Newbery), [1674]-1792; Letter from Richard Jones to Thomas Attree concerning the proposed enclosure of Ditchling Common; 19 Jun 1813; Printed list of jurors for the Summer Assize [at Lewes, 26 Jul]; 1826; Copy probate of the will of Frances Pickering of Lewes St Michael, widow, 7 Jun 1679; nd, (wmk 1875)


AMS6617 Deeds of 117 High Street, Lewes (Balcomb-Pelham-Boxall-Hammond-Wisdom), with details of boundary dispute with owners of 118 High Street (Gell); [1737]-1881


AMS6618 Laughton parish overseers' records and sale particulars; includes valuation list, 1897; supplemental valuation lists, 1897-1903; poor rate assessment books, 1919-1920; sale particulars for the estate of Sir James Duke in Laughton, Warbleton and Herstmonceux, 1918-1919


AMS6619 Coloured lithograph of Robert Wadsley, huntsman to the Southdown Foxhounds; 1895


AMS6620 Rathgowry School, South Cliff, Eastbourne: volume of printed photographs; nd, 1890s

Date: 1684-2000
Held by: East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO), not available at The National Archives
Language: English

East Sussex Records Office, Lewes

Physical description: 17 Accessions
Access conditions:

Open to consultation, unless otherwise stated

  • East Sussex
  • Land tenure

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research