The church of St Mary the Virgin was erected at North Common as a chapel of ease to St Peter, Chailey, in 1876. In 1974 it was transferred to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Arundel and Brighton. It ceased to be used for that purpose in 1991-1922 and is now (1994) empty. The churchyard remains open and burials still take place there.
PAR520/1/2 Baptism register; 1897-1972
PAR520/1/5 Burial register; 1897-1994
PAR520/3 Service registers; 1924-1956
For copy conveyance of land for the site of the church by William Nevill, Earl of Abergavenny, 29 Nov 1875 see ABE 26J; for plans and papers relating to the building of the church, Apr - May 1875 see PAR289/4/11-14; for papers on the electric lighting at the church, 1939-1948 see PAR289/4/6-7; for PCC accounts showing weekly receipts from church collections, 1943-1948, and expenditure on work or materials, 1944 see PAR289/15/3-4. For records of St Peter, Chailey, see PAR289 throughout.