This church is the direct descendant of the Old Tabernacle in Bretonside established by Andrew Kinsman in 1746. The congregation was ejected after Kinsman's death and built the New Tabernacle in Norley Street in 1797. In 1833 this was rebuilt and renamed Norley Street Chapel. By 1859 a larger building was required and the congregation moved to Sherwell church which was opened in 1864. Norley Street, however, remained almost continuously in use and the Old Tabernacle was reopened. Both were destroyed in 1941 but Sherwell Church still exists.