The following records were presented to the library in 1963 by Mr. J.A. Angus
Administrative / biographical background:
The business of Messrs. Macfie and Sons, sugar refiners, sprang from a similar one started in Greenock in 1788 by Robert Macfie. Other members of the family at a later date established refineries at Leith and Edinburgh, but in course of time these were absorbed by the Liverpool firm which was established in 1838 by Robert Andrew Macfie at 5, Temple Street. Subsequent refineries were located in Batchelor Street and Vernon Street and the offices were at 34, Moorfields.