Wood Bros, glass makers of Worsbrough, Barnsley and Wombwell
Records are open for consultation
Immediate source of acquisition:
On abolition of South Yorkshire County Council on 31 March 1986, the records passed from South Yorkshire County Record Office, by agreement of the four South Yorkshire District Councils, to the custody of Sheffield Archives as lead authority
Barnsley, Silkstone, West Riding of Yorkshire
Wombwell, Darfield, West Riding of Yorkshire
Worsbrough Bridge, Worsbrough, Darfield, West Riding of Yorkshire
Administrative / biographical background:
In 1828 four men established a flint glasshouse at Worsbrough Bridge. Their names were Usherwood, Barron, Cartwright and Perkes. The works were situated on the banks of the canal on the south side of the road where it now crosses the railway in an area known locally as Pretoria, and although the site was totally obliterated in the 1950s the name is preserved in Glass-house Crossing.
By 1834 the partnership had changed and the brothers John and James Wood came from Staffordshire to join with Perkes. Richard Perkes was the glassmaker, James Wood the glasscutter and John Wood the manager. All had acquired their skills working in the Stourbridge glass industry. They concentrated on making fine table glass, jugs, cruets, bottles and even lampshades. A speciality was flint glass cased with gold ruby glass with incised designs and examples were exhibited in the Great Exhibition of 1851.
After the death of Richard Perkes in 1854, William Wood came over from the Baccarat glassworks in France to join his brothers and the business became known as Wood Brothers. In 1870, another brother, Alphonse, joined the partnership. He also came from Baccarat bringing with him techniques of gilding and etching learnt at the French works.
In 1871 the ground landlords refused to grant an extension of the lease at Worsbrough Bridge and so in 1872 the firm bought a piece of land near Hoyle Mill in Barnsley and set up a furnace. During the next three years articles made in Barnsley were taken to Worsbrough Bridge for finishing and decorating until the Barnsley works had expanded sufficiently to absorb all the work force and carry out all the processes. In 1874 the Worsbrough Bridge works were finally closed. About 1900 a branch of the works was set up in Wombwell but the main site was at Pontefract Road in Barnsley where the works expanded to build up a reputation for a wide variety of products, pressed and blown, domestic and industrial.
(These notes are based on information supplied by Mr Denis Ashurst)
The business was closed down in February 1981
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know