This collection contains some stray records from other hospitals and authorities (sections E, F and G), and these have been cross-referenced in the appropriate catalogues.
There are no staff records in the collection.
ID 411/A ADMINISTRATION; ID 411/B PATIENTS' RECORDS; ID 411/C FINANCIAL RECORDS; ID 411/D PREMISES AND EQUIPMENT; ID 411/E OTHER HOSPITALS; ID 411/F BLYTHING POOR LAW UNION; ID 411/G BLYTHING RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Records of Blything Poor Law Union and Workhouse will be found under references ADA 1 and HA 11/B5.
Plans of the buildings in 1850 occur in the Blythburgh parish records (reference FC 189/C4/3). Plans dated 1930-1948 are held in the County Council archives (reference A 536/25, 29, 92). Deeds 1931-1934 are available under reference ID 406/1/2/1.
A return of nurses in the Blything Union Poor Law service dated 1901 is included in the records of Blything District Council (reference EF 6/5/1/1).
A history of the Red House is included in a report dated 3 July 1948, prepared by Joseph Bolton, Public Assistance Officer, East Suffolk County Council. This is available under reference A 814/1/1
Formerly Blything House of Industry and Workhouse and Red House Public Assistance Institution.
The institution at Bulcamp was built in 1766 as the House of Industry for the incorporated parishes of Blything Hundred. It was the earliest such building in Suffolk. Following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834, it became the Workhouse for Blything Union.
Under the Local Government Act 1929 and the Poor Law Act 1930, responsibility for institutions previously administered by the Board of Guardians was transferred to local authority Public Assistance Committees. The Workhouse accordingly became the responsibility of East Suffolk County Council. It was renamed The Red House Institution, but continued to provide 'indoor' (ie residential) relief for the poor.
With the creation of the National Health Service in 1948, the Red House was transferred to the Ministry of Health, and administered by Ipswich Hospital Management Committee on behalf of the East Anglian Regional Hospital Board. It was renamed Blythburgh District Hospital, and was later used mainly for geriatric patients.
From 1974 the responsible bodies were Ipswich Health District and East Anglian Regional Health Authority. From 1982 they were East Suffolk District Health Authority and East Anglian Regional Health Authority.
Blythburgh District Hospital was closed in April 1994 and was sold in June for conversion to residential accommodation.