Presented by the Liverpool Female Penitentiary, per T. Fell Abraham, last Chairman, 23 August, 1922.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Liverpool Female Penitentiary was instituted on 25 October 1809, following a meeting of the Philanthropic Society. Its object was the reformation and rehabilitation of prostitutes and its first premises were opened at Edgehill in 1810.
Sometimes referred to as the Magdalen Asylum, Home or Institution, it should not be confused, under these names, with the Magdalen Institution, a Church of England institution, established in 1855 for similar ends.
The Liverpool Female Penitentiary was supported by annual subscriptions and donations. In 1828, the Mayor bailiffs and burgesses of the Town of Liverpool granted a lease to the Penitentiary of premises in Falkner St./Crabtree Lane, with the condition that they be used solely for the rehabilitation of prostitutes. By 1921 the number of inmates had fallen to two and the Corporation, maintaining that the condition of the lease had been broken and that the premises were needed for more important public services, repossessed the "Falkner Home", as it was, by then, known. The Liverpool Female Penitentiary was then disbanded.