The Hastings & St Leonard's Gaslight and Coke Company was formed by Deed of Settlement in 1832; the company was dissolved and reincorporated by AoP as the Hastings & St Leonard's Gas Company in 1854. The original works at Queen's Rd, Hastings, rapidly became too small and additional lands were sought within the Bexhill area. The new works at Glyne Gap were built in 1900 and were a source of much local contention; manufacture commenced in 1904 and was in full use by 1907 and the Queen's Rd works ceased manufacture on 6 Jun 1907. At first, there were no holders at Glyne Gap and Hastings continued as a storage station, the two sites being linked by a trunk main. The Battle Gas and Coke Company was absorbed in 1925. A controlling interest in the company was acquired by the South Eastern Gas Corporation in 1934. On nationalisation in 1949 the undertaking became part of the Sussex County Division of SEGB.