Rowling, John E, fl 1815, dairyman, of Lambeth, Surrey
Immediate source of acquisition:
Depositor: J. Ridley Rowling
Administrative / biographical background:
Introduction The firm was founded in 1815 by John Rowling, who came to London from Suffolk and occupied premises in 54 Brook Street. Originally he kept his own cows but in the 1860s he began to buy in milk. His three sons, Joseph, Henry and James, also became dairymen, each having their own rounds. In about 1875, they acquired premises at 20 St. Alban's Street, where they remained until its demolition between 1930 and 1935. From 1919 the firm also traded from 179 Lower Kennington Lane, and about 1930 a new dairy was built at Walnut Tree Walk, to replace St. Alban's Street. In 1933 a shop at 4 Worcester House, Kennington Road was acquired, but this had gone by 1959.
Joseph became sole proprietor of the business in 1897 and his son John took it over on his father's death in 1926. He in turn was succeeded by his son John Ridley and grandson David in 1959. The firm finally amalgamated with Express Dairies in 1970.
For more detailed history see IV/56/77, notes by John Ridley Rowling.