Catalogue description Evercreech History Society Collection

This record is held by Evercreech History Society

Details of EHS
Reference: EHS
Title: Evercreech History Society Collection

The parish includes the village of Evercreech and the hamlets of Chesterblade, Stoney Stratton and Southwood. The Society's collection includes the society's publications, copies of maps, Parish magazines, industrial and trade records, Friendly Societies information and members research notes. Details of people from the village involved in WW1 and WW2. Information on Evercreech House and it's owners.


Link to Website:

Date: 14th - 21st cent
Held by: Evercreech History Society, not available at The National Archives

Evercreech History Society

Unpublished finding aids:

Available from Evercreech History Society. Not held by National Archives

Administrative / biographical background:

Evercreech is a large village in North East Somerset 8 miles south east of the cathedral city of Wells. The village has Saxon origins confirmed by the discovery of the skeleton of a Saxon man and his weapon and a Saxon farmstead uncovered during rescue archaeology. The village was in ecclesiastical ownership until the Reformation. Bishop Joselin gave the advowson to the Priory of St John in Wells. A Rectorial House and barn were built and occupied by their steward until the house fell into lay hands after the Reformation: see booklet entitled The Parsonage. Evercreech House was built in 1775 by William Rodbard on the site of an earlier property that may have been one of the ten Bishop’s Palaces or manors built in Somerset for the Bishops of Bath & Wells . When farms were created by the enclosures, they were largely dairy farms. The coming of the railway in 1862 expanded the market for cheese. In 1891 a creamery was opened by Messrs Prideaux which continued in operation until 2018 under various owners. The silk industry employed many children in the village’s two silk mills, see The Silk Industry in Evercreech. Evercreech lost 42 men in WW1 and 6 in WW2, biographies of all the men are written in a Memorial Book in the parish church and available on the parish council web site. The history society was founded in 1996, we have regular meetings and talks, undertake research and have published 10 books and a variety of booklets and monographs.

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research