Records of Stanilands of Doncaster, Auctioneers and Estate Agents.
J G Staniland, whose papers as a student for membership of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors from 1948 to 1951 are part of this collection, was a partner in the firm. The firm amalgamated with William H Brown in 1979, but J G Staniland subsequently left to carry on business on his own account as an agent for commercial property only. He retired from business in 1996. It is the records of this business and those which he had retained from the Stainlands partnership which form this collection.
Stanilands, auctioneers and estate agents of Doncaster
Nettleton and Son, auctioneers and estate agents of Doncaster
William H Brown, auctioneers and estate agents of Doncaster
Staniland, Douglas Lenton, fl 1921-1955, auctioneer and estate agent of Doncaster
Staniland, J G, fl 1948-1996, auctioneer and estate agent of Doncaster
Doncaster, West Riding of Yorkshire
Administrative / biographical background:
The business was established by Douglas Lenton Staniland in 1921 in an office and furniture saleroom in High Street, Doncaster. He subsequently moved to offices at Clock Corner (at the junction of Hallgate, Frenchgate and Baxtergate, Doncaster) and, in 1938, to 3, Hallgate. In 1955, the business amalgamated with J S Nettleton and Son of 6, Hallgate. These premises were sold and 28 Netherhall Road was purchased and extended to provide a saleroom. In 1965, offices on the first and second floors of 50, Hallgate were occupied and the freehold purchased in 1977. Other offices were opened in Kingsway House, Doncaster in 1974, in Hatfield in 1976 and in Thorne in the following year.