AH Allen and Partners, Sheffield, analytical chemists
Records are open for consultation unless otherwise indicated
Immediate source of acquisition:
On abolition of South Yorkshire County Council on 31 March 1986, the records passed from South Yorkshire County Record Office, by agreement of the four South Yorkshire District Councils, to the custody of Sheffield Archives as lead authority
Sheffield, West Riding of Yorkshire
Administrative / biographical background:
A. H. Allen came to Sheffield from London in 1864 when he was appointed analytical assistant to Dr. James Allan. After the latter's untimely death, A. H. Allen set up his own business as an analytical chemist at 1 Surrey Street and is listed as such in White's 1871 directory. Shortly afterwards he was appointed professor of chemistry and physics in Sheffield School of Medicine and lecturer on chemistry and physical science in Wesley College. He was appointed Public Analyst by Sheffield in 1873 and shortly after by the West Riding of Yorkshire.
The business has retained the same name, except for a brief period in the 1920s when John Evans gave it his own name, and remained in the same premises (originally 1 Surrey Street, re-numbered to 67 Surrey Street in the 1890s) since it was first set up until about 1990.
It has acted as Public Analyst to the counties of Nottinghamshire and South Yorkshire, to the cities of Sheffield, York and Lincoln, and to the boroughs of Barnsley, Chesterfield, Doncaster, Grimsby, Rotherham and Scunthorpe