Liverpool (Overhead) Electric Railway Company, 1888 - 1956
Administrative / biographical background:
Incorporated by a special Act of Parliament dated 24 July 1888, for the purpose of constructing and maintaining the overhead railways, the Company, under the chairmanship of Sir William Bower Forwood took over the powers and leased the property from the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board. The line, which ran between Alexandra Dock and Herculaneum Dock was formally opened on 4th Feb. 1893. The following year it was extended to Seaforth Sands, and in 1896 the terminal at Dingle was completed.
In 1955, at the annual meeting of the Company, the shareholders endorsed the Directors' proposals for the introduction of a Parliamentary Bill to close down the undertaking. This Bill received the Royal Assent on 2nd August 1956, and became the Liverpool Overhead Railway Act, 1956.