The records of the Ladies Residential Chambers Ltd were donated by Miss Savage of the York Street Chambers in April 1978. They consist of minute books of the Directors, 1888-1936 and minute books of the (Management) Committee, 1895-1911.
Administrative / biographical background:
The York Street Chambers were built in 1892 to house single professional women and the tenants were principally artists, authors, nurses. They were designed by Balfour and Turner Architects and were built by Messrs Bovis (their first building contract). Residents at the Chenies Street Chambers are last recorded in the Kelly's Post Office Directory of 1941 and it seems that the building suffered bomb damage. It is last recorded in the directory for 1948.