Catalogue description UNITARIAN CHURCHES

This record is held by East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO)

Details of NU
Reference: NU

Summary of classes


NU/1 Lewes Westgate Unitarian Chapel: baptism registers, marriage register, lists of members, 1688-1977; meeting house accounts, 1730-1891; accounts, 1955-1959; notes of cost of repairs, 1956-1957; subscriptions for the Minister, 1838-1865; subscription accounts, 1876-1891; offertory accounts, 1910-1922; cash book, 1911-1923; receipted bills, c1790-1860; letter from the British Red Cross Society concerning a donation, accounts of payments made by the Charity Commissioners, bank statements of the International Union of Liberal Christian Women, 1915-1939; papers concerning the appointment of a committee to manage the affairs of the congregation, 1841-1842; minutes of the Lewes Unitarian Circle, 1894-1920; Lewes Branch of the Women's League and Sewing Circle (formerly the Lewes Unitarian Sewing Circle) report and balance sheets, 1913-1936; minutes of the Social Guild Committee, 1912-1914; minutes of the Choir Committee, 1918-1919; minutes of committee and annual general meetings, 1927-1941; Honorary Secretaries' reports, 1917-1953; certificate licensing the chapel for the solemnisation of marriages, 1837; visitors' book, 1917-1958; papers concerning a right of access to allow repairs to be made to the west side of the chapel, 1898-1928; papers concerning a bequest by John Henry Every, 1936-1943; inventories of deeds and documents, 1790-1934; inventory of contents of the chapel, 1963; photograph of the first page of the baptism register 1688, c1930; agreements, notices and papers relating to the structure of the chapel and adjoining buildings including Bull House (Tom Paine), 1695-1843; bills, estimates, accounts, correspondence and papers concerning repairs and decorations, 1832-1973; papers concerning insurance consisting of policies, letters, description of pewter plates stolen from the chapel, provisional valuation under the 1910 Finance Act, c1914-1959; state of the case concerning the disposal of pews, c1750-1854; note of the hatchment of Francis, Lord Napier, note of the death of Mr Sowden, 1772-1854; photographs of the interior of the chapel, 1915-1929; Ministers' papers consisting of papers relating to the Minister's salary, sermon, insurance policy, order of service, c1850-1950; papers of the Rev T W Horsfield, 1817-1838; Vestry library account book, receipted bills, subscription book, plan to unite the library with that at Southover to create a public library, 1808-1864; printed material including rules of the Southern Unitarian Association, lecture by W H Godfrey, poster advertising broadsides from Tom Paine, notices of services, newspaper cuttings, 1768-1952; Sunday School register of pupils, catalogue of books, 1865-c1940; title deeds of the site of the chapel, 1719-1874


NU/2 Ditchling the Old Meeting House (Unitarian): minutes of church meetings, 1753-1921; register of births, register of deaths and burials, membership list, plan of the chapel and of the old and new burial grounds, death certificates, 1737-1895; minutes of the directors' of the Free School, copies of deeds and papers relating to the school, (1738)-1834; copies of trust deeds, (1740)-1821; correspondence and papers concerning burial ground, appeals for subscriptions, alterations to the chapel, appointment of ministers, sale of the Free School, letters concerning the sate of Unitarianism at Poole in Dorset and Manchester, The 'Browne' American letters, 1794-1831, history of the chapel, 1763-1987; other records consisting of a provisional index of documents of the chapel, A Study of the old Meeting House and the Retaining Wall between the Burial Ground and the School Cottages, 1982-1986


NU/3 Battle Unitarian Chapel: church books containing articles of faith, lists of members, lists of births, history of the chapel, repairs to the chapel, minutes of church meetings, 1769-1845; appeal for funds and report on the state of the chapel, 1840-1857; papers concerning the sale of the chapel and its use by the Mountjoy Institute, 1897-1928; papers concerning the history of the chapel, 1872-1928; papers concerning the burial ground including list of inscriptions of headstones, 1980-1984


NU/4 Northiam Unitarian Chapel: church books containing history of the chapel, lists of members, minutes, 1788-1850; accounts for the building of the chapel, subscriptions and expenditure, bills for bread, wine and candles, bills for repairs and maintenance, 1795-1910; correspondence and papers consisting of services, printed works, lists of trustees, letters from the British and Foreign Unitarian Association, questionnaire from the Provincial Assembly of non-Subscribing Ministers and Congregations, appointment of trustees, order of service, 1817-1916; Northiam Union Library register of issues, printed catalogue, 1809-1823; Sunday School pupils' attendance register, 1835-1844; other records consisting of photographs of members of the Comport family, photographs of the interior and exterior of the chapel, c1890-1988


NU/5 Hastings Unitarian Chapel: history of the chapel, (1867)-1967


NU/6 Brighton Unitarian Church: trust deeds and registration certificates, (1774)-1892; committee minutes, annual general meeting minutes, Women's League minutes, 1822-1984; reports of the committee and women's League, 1893-1978; baptism register, marriage register, register of burial services, 1886-1943; lists of subscribers, 1820-1979; church book containing summary of trust deed, lists of trustees, inventory of property, rules, list of Ministers, list of Secretaries, list of Treasurers, accounts, membership lists, 1860-1952; Treasurers' accounts, 1822-1825; liquidation fund papers, 1821-1859; cash books, account books, 1820-1975; cash and bank accounts, 1969-1976; petty cash book, 1971-1973; ledger, 1972-1973; offertory book, 1940-1951; vouchers to account for advertisements in newspapers, repairs to the chapel, maintenance and repairs, 1840-1874; trustees' correspondence concerning Ministers, 1821-1837; other records consisting of photograph of a Minister, appeal for funds, printed history of the church, c1886-1972

Date: 1688-1988
Held by: East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO), not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Physical description: 6 Sub-fonds
Access conditions:

Documents are closed to public inspection for 30 years from the last date of a document

  • East Sussex
  • Religion
Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research