Market Harborough United Industrial and Provident Freehold Land Society, Market Harborough, Leicestershire
Administrative / biographical background:
Established in February 1877 as the Market Harborough Liberal Industrial and Provident Freehold Land Society, the society replaced the 'Liberal' in its title with 'United' on 4 February 1903. A number of building estates were begun in Great Bowden and Market Harborough, the society lending money to members on the security of their property. A change in legislation which prevented such loans led to the dissolution of the society on the orders of the Registrar of Friendly Societies on 5 November 1963. The mortgages of members were transferred to the Market Harborough Building Society.