The London Gas Light Co. was formed by Deed of Settlement in 1833 as a non-statutory company. The company set up in competition to all the other London companies and operated on both sides of the Thames. The first works were built at Vauxhall Gardens on the east side of Vauxhall (Albert Embankment) in 1832. In 1833 a new 'Vauxhall' works was built on the west side of Vauxhall. The original works ceased production in 1834 but remained part of the new Vauxhall works until 1848 when the railway cut through it. With a new telescopic holder in 1834 the Vauxhall works continued until 1864, when the company transferred production to the Nine Elms site which had been built in 1857. An explosion at Nine Elms in 1865 caused a temporary re-opening of the Vauxhall works until 1869. The company had become statutory in 1845 under the London Gas Light Co. Act. The company had bought a bulk supply of gas from the Equitable GC to supply its north Thames area and continued this arrangement with the GLCC after its takeover of the Equitable GC. The London GLC also leased holders to the GLCC. In 1883 the London Gas Light Co. was taken over by the GLCC. In 1897 CWG was introduced at Nine Elms and between 1907 and 1930 the works switched from inclined to vertical retorts.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know