Catalogue description Jesmond Baptist Church
This record is held by Tyne and Wear Archives
|Title:||Jesmond Baptist Church|
For records of Bewick Street Baptist church (formerly Tuthill Stairs Baptist church) see C.Nc11.
For records of Westgate Road Baptist church see C.Nc59.
|Held by:||Tyne and Wear Archives, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||4 series + 3 files|
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
Jesmond Baptist church was opened in 1886 following a decision by Newcastle Baptists to close down their Marlborough Crescent church. This had already merged with the Bewick Street church (formerly Tuthill Stairs Baptist church) in 1884 when that church had closed. It was felt that two new churches should be built to serve the growing suburbs of Newcastle more effectively, one at Westgate and one at Jesmond. They were both opened in 1886 and administered jointly until 1889 when they became independent of one another. Jesmond Baptist church closed in 1970.
|Link to NRA Record:|
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know