The registers start in 1794, although the index predates the earliest by four years. Includes Register of Burials at Queen Street Chapel from 1836. (Registers before 1875 therefore relate to Queen Street Chapel).
Roman Catholic Church, St Werburgh parish, Chester
Immediate source of acquisition:
Unpublished finding aids:
Further Information: "Diocese of Shrewsbury Centenary Record", Fr. Maurice Abbott
Administrative / biographical background:
The Queens Street chapel, predecessor of St Werburgh, was erected after 1796 by the Rev Thomas Penswick, although there is evidence of the existence of a priest in Chester before this date. By the 1860s, the chapel had become unable to cater for the growing congregation, and St Werburgh was built in 1875, and extended between 1904 and 1914.