Although many of the company's records were lost through bomb damage in the Second World War, the surviving material provides evidence of the expansion and decline of the fur trade and the impact of the Second World War upon a small firm.
GEORGE SMITH AND SONS LTD
Articles of Association and registers of Directors and Shareholders
George Smith and Sons Ltd, 1794-1988, wholesale furriers
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records of George Smith and Sons Ltd, were deposited on permanent loan by Mr R Smith of Peat Marwick McLintock, accountants, with the assistance of the Business Archives Council in August 1988.
Administrative / biographical background:
The firm of George Smith and Sons, wholesale furriers, was founded in 1794 and subsequently incorporated in 1898. Their premises were initially located in Gough Square and from 1848, Watling Street in the City of London. Following the bombing of the Watling Street premises in 1941, the company moved to Liberty Buildings, Regent Street and subsequently 15-16 Kingly Street. The company took over the furriers James Johnson of Paternoster Row between the wars (with Mr Johnson becoming a director of George Smith and Sons Ltd) and also the fur-dyeing company of Marcel Reichensten. In 1979 the wholesalers Dulley and Vincent were also taken over. However, the firm itself went into liquidation in 1988.