STANLEY, EARLS OF DERBY
1st, Thomas 1485 - 1504
2nd, Thomas 1504 - 1521
3rd, Edward 1521 - 1572
4th, Henry 1572 - 1593
5th, Ferdinando 1593 - 1594
"... tampered with by one Hesketh" in relation to a plot involving the throne. Rejected the proposition and was probably poisoned. -
6th, William 1594 - 1642
7th, James (b 1607) 1642 - 1651
Royalist supporter, beheaded at Bolton, 15 Oct 1651
His wife was Charlotte de la Tremouille who defended Lathom House when it was beseiged by Parliament forces in 1644.
8th, Charles (b 1628) 1651 - 1672
9th, William George (b 1656) 1672 - 1702
10th, James (b 1664) 1702 - 1736
11th, Edward (b 1689) 1736 - 1776
NO PAPERS OF ANY OF THE ABOVE ARE DEPOSITED IN THE LIVERPOOL RECORD OFFICE
12th, Edward Smith (b 1752)
Whig supporter, entered House of Commons in 1774. Lord Lieutenant of Lancashire. Keen sportsman and horse racing enthusiast, founded the Oakes in 1779 and the Derby in 1780.
Originally greatly opposed to the construction of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway.
In 1797 after the death of his estranged first wife married Elizabeth Farren "the celebrated actress".
Papers: in Liverpool Record Office 1 bundle only, of letters received by him. According to J J Bagley
The Earls of Derby ..., 1985, p 245, a MS diary and other papers of 12th Earl are in the Library at Knowsley Hall. 1776 - 1834
13th, Edward Smith, (b 1775)
Whig, entered Parliament in 1796 but political career was "noiseless and ubobtrusive".
Lord Lieutenant of Lancashire. Great passion was natural history, birds, animals and plants. Collector and breeder, he built up the aviary and menagerie at Knowsley.
Patron of Edward Lear, Audubon etc.
President of the Linnaean Society, Presedent of the London (Royal) Zoological Society.
Over 20,000 specimens of birds' eggs, stuffed birds, mammals and fish, bird skins etc, collected by him made up the Derby Collection with which the new Liverpool Museum was opened in 1860.
Papers: in the Liverpool Record Office, extensive, see 920 DER (13)
Papers also held by Archives Department, NMGM.
Enquiries to Maritime Records Centre. 1834 - 1851