Deposited by Mr V. Leigh-Thomas of Pan Mill, Newport on the 28th March 1984 (accession Ac 84/37)
Newport, Isle of Wight
Administrative / biographical background:
The company began as James Thomas and Co. Ltd and was founded in 1898. They had offices at 20, High Street, Newport, and stores in the same town in Sea Street, and Pyle Street, as well as a mill at Pan. The company were described as provision merchants in 1906. By 1927 the firm had was renamed Thomas Gater Bradfield and Co. after a merger which added Westminster and Home Mills in the parish of Carisbrooke, but a directory of 1939 shows that by then the firm had acquired the name Leigh Thomas and Co Ltd. provender millers and grain merchants, who had reconsolidated their business back on the mill at Pan. In the 1990s the firm moved to Blackwater, in the parish of Arreton, and has now been taken over by Scats.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know