The company was incorporated on 16 September 1881 as The Scottish Boiler Insurance and Engine Inspection Company Ltd., registered number Sco1054. On 1 March 1920 its name changed to Scottish Boiler and General Insurance Company Ltd. The company became a subsidiary of The Yorkshire Insurance Company Ltd. in August 1913 which became part of General Accident Fire and Life Assurance Corporation Ltd. in 1967. The company's name changed to Undershaft (Boiler) Limited on 13/12/2012 and it was dissolved on 06/05/2014.
Constituents/subsidiaries The Yorkshire Boiler Insurance and Steam Users Company Ltd. ( -1882) (Scottish business) English and Scottish Boiler Insurance Company Ltd.(1879-1888) London and Scottish Boiler Insurance Company Ltd. (1898 - 1902) Midland Steam Boiler Inspection and Assurance Company (1862 - 1888) North British Boiler and Machinery Insurance Company Ltd. (1890 -1892)
Business The company was established by Mr Young to "insure boilers against explosion or collapse, the testing of new boilers by hydraulic pressure, the superintendence of the erection of new engines, and the repairs of those in use." Its first claim was paid in 1882 to Mr Henry Kennedy of Barrowfield Pottery. By 1968 the company was operating the group engineering business for the Yorkshire and later fulfilled the same role for the General Accident Group.
Staff/ officials Directors (1881) William Clark James Beith Peter Wishart Hall Adam Morrison John Norman Graham Stevenson John Drummond Young
Managing Director John Drummond Young (1881 - 1915)
Manager - role created in 1915 Mr T K Gardner (1915 - 1934) (joint manager) Mr George Ness (1915 - 1935) (joint manager until 1934 then general manager) William Wallace Kerr (1936 - 1955) (general manager) R J S MacPherson (1955 - 1969) No manager given 1970 D A Blaikie (by 1971 - 1972) F M G Cadie (1972 - 1984) J Gledhill (1984 ) Manager no longer listed
Secretary W Boyd Anderson (1881 - ) (interim) Capt. T K Gardner (1907 - 1934) (away on active service 1914 - 1917 returns as Lt.Col.) R H Pairman. (1937 - 1942 at least) (interim secretary 1914 - 1917 and 1934 - 1937) Thomas B Fyfe (by 1944 - 1951) George Sellars (1951 - 1961) R F Mottershead ( 1961 - 1967) A P Borwell (by 1968 - 1971) A J Marston (1971 - 1984) W L Carrick (1984 - 1989 at least)
Chief Engineer R Douglas Munro (1881 - 1906) Mr Campbell (1906 - 1910) (joint chief engineer) George Ness (1906 - 1936) (joint chief engineer to 1910)( also general manager) E Royal (1936 at least) No longer listed
Head office premises - Glasgow 162 Buchanan Street (1881 - 1885 ) 141 Buchanan Street (by 1886 - 1889) 13 Dundas Street (1889 - 1897 at least) 111 Union Street (by 1901 - 1909) 174 West George Street (1909 - 1915) 82 St Vincent Street (1915 - 1962) 22 Queen Street (1962 - 1976) Windsor House 250 St Vincent Street (1976 - 1984 at least) 100 West Nile Street (by 1987 - 1989 at least)
|