New Star Brick Company, Thurmaston, Leicestershire
Hallam's Sand and Gravel Co, Thurmaston, Leicestershire
Administrative / biographical background:
The firm of Henry Herbert and Sons appears to have been established in the early nineteenth century as a firm of brick manufacturers in Leicester. By 1880, the firm also undertook building work, and by 1884, had taken over the Star Brick Works (later the New Star Brick Company) at Thurmaston, formerly under the proprietorship of Robert Richard Gray. By 1928, Messrs. Henry Herbert and Sons had formed "The Highway Sand and Gravel Pits", also at Thurmaston, and less than ten years later had become proprietors of Hallam's Sand and Gravel Company, the works being at Thurmaston, and the offices for this and their other companies being at Millstone Lane, Leicester.
The company closed down in 1969, as there were no heirs to succeed the two partners, H.D. and F. Herbert. The New Star Brick Company did not close with the rest of the firm. Messrs. Henry Herbert and Sons are notable for the building of the Temperance Building Society offices in Charles Street, the old County Office, the original College of Art and Technology buildings, the Pathology Lab. and Nurses' Training School of Leicester General Hospital, and for the restoration of the Old Manor Farm, Donington-le-Heath, (see Leicester Mercury 3 July 1969)