Browse by Records Creators

Sanderson Hospital School and Freeman Hospital school, Newcastle

This page summarises records created by this Organisation

The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.

Alternative name(s):
  • W J Sanderson Home for Destitute and Crippled Children (Formerly known as)
Date: 1938-1984
History: The hospital was founded by W J Sanderson, a Newcastle philanthropist. It was originally known as the W J Sanderson Home for Destitute and Crippled Children and was initially begun in premises at Whickham in 1888. These buildings swiftly became too small and the hospital moved to the Red House in Wallsend on 1 June 1889. The final move in 1897 was to Salters Road, Gosforth when the Wallsend premises were no longer suitable. Until the implementation of the National Health Act of 1947, the Sanderson Orthopaedic Hospital continued as an independently run institution specialising in the care of physically handicapped children and had its own school, which continued until its closure as a children's hospital in 1977. The Freeman Hospital opened in 1977.
Places:
  • Gosforth, Northumberland
  • Wallsend, Northumberland
  • Whickham, Durham
Functions, occupations and activities: Schools and Education > Schools
Name authority reference: GB/NNAF/C287663
Collections
  Description Held by Reference Further information
1
1938-1984: records incl report, photographs, newspaper cuttings
Tyne and Wear Archives

Sharing will require cookies. Show details